Problem #1

I realised I may have been overthinking the complexity of distance calculation in my upcoming running app. I was concerned about receiving location updates with different accuracies when the runner was standing still, so was clustering them and using a centroid value so as not to add a distance when it did not need to be done.

This highlighted a side effect whereby looped courses would cause the distance to be under read.

I’ve gone back to a simplistic calculation now and factored velocity in.

Time to test it with a run!

problem #2

Perhaps I should have checked that the GUI was still updating before I went out.

No distance showing

Categories: AndroidparkrunRunning

Related Posts


Travelling Santa Problem is now released

Finally after 690 hours of effort to date, Travelling Santa Problem has been released to Google Play. Guide Santa’s reindeer and sleigh through the night in this challenging Christmas game of dexterity and skill. Deliver Read more…


Travelling Santa Problem 2017 – Addressing lag

For 2017 I’m going to address the lag issue which has manifested on lower performance devices. Follow my Google+ profile to keep up to date with the latest news on Travelling Santa Problem. Travelling Santa Read more…